Brand new way of Virtual Storage – “vSAN”
Let us discuss about Storage Virtualization. VMware vSAN is a software based storage space solution. It can be defined as hyper-converged, software program defined storage or hypervisor converged also. It is a separate product from vSphere and need its own Licensing. vSAN can be managed by both Windows version of vCenter Machine and the vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA).
As a component of vSphere, vSAN stretches the hypervisor to pool plus abstract server based storage assets i. e. it basically makes use of ESXi Host local storage plus represent them as a single datastore. Refer the below figure.
It is much guaranteed cost effective when compared to external storage arrays. Integration with vSphere makes vSAN simple and easy to configure. If you know ‘ and DRS configuration it will be simple to go with vSAN. Going further vSAN is also integrated with vRealize Package and support most of the vSphere benefits such as DRS, HA, vMotion and much more.
Prerequisites or Necessity:
- ESXi sponsor should be managed by vCenter Machine 5. 5 and It should be set up as Virtual SAN cluster.
- Each ESXi host should have minimum of single 1 Gb Ethernet, adapter available solely for the use of digital SAN
- At least one SAS or SATA solid condition Drive (SSD) should be part of every ESXi host with SSD is just not claimed by vSphere Flash Examine Cache
- Minimum of 3 or more ESXi 5. 5 hosts using contributing local disks (1 SOLID STATE DRIVE and 1 HDD) to VSAN cluster
- Minimum 4 GIG of RAM for ESXi host
· Important points: A Virtual SAN cluster can include hosts with capability and hosts without capacity.
- All hosting companies in the Virtual SAN cluster should have the same on-disk format.
- Make sure that the destination cluster is usually Virtual SAN enabled before you proceed a host from a Virtual SAN bunch to another cluster.
- The Virtual SAN cluster must incorporate a minimum of three ESXi hosts. For any Virtual SAN cluster to endure host and device failures, a minimum of three hosts that join the particular Virtual SAN cluster must lead capacity to the cluster. For best outcomes, consider adding four or more hosting companies contributing capacity to the cluster.
- To access the Virtual SAN data store, an ESXi sponsor must be a member of the Virtual SAN cluster.